Visiting a dentist can make many people feel anxious or worried. Unfortunately, some truly phobic patients avoid making dental appointments or receiving necessary treatment altogether, resulting in dental disease and general oral health deterioration.
At The Family Dental & Implant Centre, we take extra steps to work with nervous patients and help them feel more at ease. We listen to your concerns and address any areas which you find stressful.
Sometimes, explaining what the procedure involves and by treating you at your own pace, can be enough to help you to feel more comfortable. Our dentists will work at your pace and will always stop treatment if you indicate you need a break.
For those patients who find treatment too difficult, we offer dental sedation to create a more relaxed and calm experience.
What is dental sedation?
Dental sedation is used to make you feel more relaxed. You will remain awake throughout the treatment; however, the sedative will dull your senses and create a sense of calm. Many patients do not remember their treatment once the sedation has worn off.
Is dental sedation safe?
Intravenous sedation with Midazolam is a reliable and safe method of relieving anxiety during dental treatment. You will remain awake yet feel drowsy and you will still be able to respond to the dentist.
Who might benefit from dental sedation?
- People who experience anxiety before visiting the dentist
- Those who have had a negative dental experience in the past
- Patients undergoing complex treatment
- Patients undergoing oral surgery
- People who have a strong gag reflex
- People who find it difficult to open their mouths wide enough or for long enough to have their treatment completed
- Individuals who dislike needles
- Individuals with sensitive teeth or those who dislike the noises and smells associated with dental treatment
Our promise to you
For nervous patients who cannot face the thought of a trip to the dentist, why not let our team help. Our professional, understanding and experienced staff will take your concerns seriously and help you to overcome your fears and worries so that you can have necessary treatment in a calm and relaxed manner.