Are you anxious about dental treatment?
We understand that coming to the dentist can be an anxious time for some people. Here at the Family Dental Practice we always take the time to listen to your concerns and address any particular things which you find stressful. Sometimes, just explaining what the procedure involves, and by treating you at your own pace, allows you to feel more comfortable whilst having treatment. Our dentists will always allow you to be fully in control of your treatment and will always stop if you raise your hand. For those of you who find even this approach too traumatic, there is a fantastic solution in the form of conscious sedation.
What is dental sedation?
Also known as conscious or IV sedation, dental sedation is a procedure used to put patients in a relaxed and calm state during treatment. Dental sedation will make you feel physically and mentally relaxed. Most people find this is a pleasant and acceptable way of receiving treatment when they would normally be nervous. Patients normally remember little or nothing of the procedure but memory is unaffected in any other way.
Is dental sedation safe?
Intravenous sedation with midazolam is a reliable and safe method of relieving patients’ anxiety and allowing treatment to be completed in a relaxed way. Patients are not asleep during the procedure and can still respond to requests and communicate fully.
Who will benefit from dental sedation?
- People who experience anxiety related to visits to the dental team
- Those who have previous bad experiences at the dentist
- Patients undergoing complex treatment
- Patients undergoing oral surgery
- People who have strong gag reflexes
- People who find it difficult to open their mouths wide enough or for long enough to have their treatment completed
- Individuals who dislike needles inside their mouths
- Individuals with sensitive teeth or those who dislike the noises and smells associated with dental treatment
Our promise to you
For nervous patients who genuinely cannot face the thought of a trip to the dentist, why not let the Family Dental Practice help. We promise our professional, understanding and experienced staff will help you overcome your fears and worries and allow you to have any necessary dental care in a calm and relaxed manner.