"Dentistry has changed a lot in 15 years, however we continue to innovate and lead the way in dental implants. We're using the latest techniques and we work with our patients to ensure they are comfortable at all times."
A dental implant is designed to mimic nature. It is a small titanium screw which when placed in the patient’s jaw provides a stable and long lasting platform for the replacement of the missing tooth. With an excellent success rate, dental implants can be regarded as one of the best options for a patient wanting to replace their missing teeth.
The benefits of having dental implants
Implants are the closest thing to natural teeth that is available today. There are numerous benefits of having dental implant treatment. These include:
- Confidence whilst eating Dental implants allow the individual the ability to eat all types of food with confidence. The loss of teeth can sometimes make certain foods tricky or impossible to eat, but dental implants can take care of this problem. The implants securing your new teeth are just like the natural tooth root. They hold your new teeth securely, meaning you will not have to worry about them moving around like a denture can. This gives people the confidence to eat even the hardest or stickiest of foods.
- Reduce bone loss and improve your appearance Not only can dental implants benefit the way you eat but they can also help you look great. When you lose teeth the gums and the jaw can shrink and this can lead to premature aging of the individual’s face. Once the dental implant is placed the shrinkage of your jaw is stopped and the shape preserved. In the individual who has already lost bone and is already conscious of the premature aging effects caused by missing teeth, all is not lost! Implants can still be placed and a dental prosthesis provided to replace the gum and jaw bone already lost as well as replacing the missing teeth. The results of this can be transforming to the patient’s appearance, self confidence and self esteem.
Missing teeth can be replaced with a denture or a bridge and we will discuss with you whether this would be appropriate. However, many people find a denture uncomfortable and dislike the fact that they have to remove it for cleaning and have to leave it out at night. Bridges offer another excellent way of replacing missing teeth in the right circumstances. However, to place a bridge in an individual’s mouth it is often necessary to cut down the teeth adjacent to the gap. This can have a detrimental effect on the survival rate of the teeth that are holding on the bridge.
The uses of dental implants
Dental implants can be used in a number of ways to help an individual replace the missing tooth/teeth.
- The replacement of an individual tooth An implant can be placed to replace the missing root of the tooth and act as a support for an implant retained crown. The neighbouring teeth do not have to be cut down and therefore their structure remains intact and their long term prognosis is unaffected.
- The replacement of more than one missing tooth A combination of one, two or more implants can be used to anchor a “bridge” which can be used to fill a gap of 2 or more teeth. This treatment often means patients can avoid dentures or the cutting down of the neighbouring teeth to place a “conventional dental bridge.”
- Replacement of all teeth Several dental implants can be placed to anchor a bridge to replace all of the patient’s top or bottom teeth. Alternatively, dental implants can be used to stabilize a top or bottom denture. This is ideal for those patients whose dentures move whilst eating and even allows them to bite into an apple with confidence.
Same day implants
How would you like to arrive at the dentist in the morning with your broken or loose teeth or unsatisfactory dentures and leave in the afternoon with a beautiful set of teeth you don’t have to remove? Well, now this is a reality. We are pleased to be able to offer Same Day Dental Implants by using a system called “All-on- 4.”
“All-on-4” is a specialised treatment technique that allows a fixed dental bridge to be attached to just four implants. Conventionally, a patient would require six to ten individual dental implants to replace all of their missing teeth and in some cases even need a bone grafting procedure.
The benefits of this ground breaking treatment are:
- Less implants needed, hence a cost saving against traditional implant techniques
- Minimally invasive surgical procedure
- No more loose dentures
- Teeth do not move whilst talking and eating
- A new set of teeth in a day
The procedure can really be life changing and allows the patient to eat, speak and smile with a renewed confidence.
Ready to have the teeth you desire?
Why don’t you let the experienced team at The Family Dental Practice give you back the ability to eat and smile with confidence that you deserve? Call or click the button below to book an appointment with Dr Shepherd who will be pleased to discuss how dental implants can help you.